RSSCategory: Community

Thanks Mom!

Thanks Mom!

Thanks Mom! Thanks for my first fishin’ pole. Thanks for letting Dad and Grandpa take me to the pond and put me in the boat when I was barely big enough to hold the fishin’ pole. Thanks for reading the animal and dinosaur books to me before I could read. Thanks for letting me […]

May 3, 2014 | By More
Lessons from a Snail

Lessons from a Snail

This time of year makes me restless. Between the warming days, the strong winds that whip through the mid mornings, and the bright sun that stays up way past dinner time, I find it almost impossible to stay inside. I want to dig new garden beds and build arbors for vines. I make plans to […]

May 3, 2014 | By More
The Prince and the Sugarplum Fairy: World-Renowned Dancers Featured in River Valley Production of the Nutcracker

The Prince and the Sugarplum Fairy: World-Renowned Dancers Featured in River Valley Production of the Nutcracker

As visions of sugarplums danced in her head, Ashley Miller Davis dreamed of a way to showcase all of the local dancers in the River Valley. Davis, owner and instructor of Just Dance studio in Russellville, began gathering key people in the performing arts community. Those people included Ken Futterer, Ardith Morris, and her then […]

December 1, 2013 | By More
Stuff You May Not Know

Stuff You May Not Know

Story By Dr. David Bachman Every once in awhile I like to get off the beaten track and write a non-medical article. It gives me the feeling of having a cerebral cleansing. Friends sent me some things I did not know and I’d like to pass along some of this information. OUR CRAZY ENGLISH LANGUAGE The […]

People Helping People ~ FOE ~

People Helping People ~ FOE ~

The Fraternal Order of Eagles uphold and nourish the values of home,  family and community that are so necessary and it seems so often ignored and trampled in today’s society.” “People helping people.” The concept is both a simple idea and a noble thought. It is one of the foundations of society as we know […]

December 1, 2011 | By More
Turkey Love

Turkey Love

Table turkeys seem to live hard and die young. Raised for a few short months in artificial conditions only to be killed and eaten, animal right activists rail at the treatment of poultry raised for food. But do domestic turkeys really live tortured lives? According to one local turkey grower, turkeys are living the good […]

November 11, 2011 | By More
Hospice Home

Hospice Home

The final days of life for a terminal patient and his family are traumatic under the best circumstances. Many families bring their loved one home to die. In these cases, Hospice services come to the home to provide comfort to the patient and respite for family caregivers. Hospice or palliative care focuses on physical and […]

November 1, 2011 | By More
The Nutcracker~Combining The Arts

The Nutcracker~Combining The Arts

Written by Kimberly Brown As the holiday season approaches, the Arkansas River Valley is filled with artistic surprises. Every other year, the area welcomes the production of The Nutcracker, the all-time favorite Christmas tale. This year, the ballet returns to Russellville, but with an even sweeter vision: the DANCE Foundation is teaming up with local […]

A TIME TO REMEMBER ~ A TIME TO PREPARE

A TIME TO REMEMBER ~ A TIME TO PREPARE

A cold front is barreling south from Canada and has met with the warm humidity funneled up to Arkansas from the Gulf of Mexico. The contrasting masses of air converge on the River Valley region of Arkansas as a collective group of citizens stand as sentinels, watching and waiting. A energy builds in the […]

September 10, 2011 | By More
MAIN STREET RUSSELLVILLE~ Heart of the City~

MAIN STREET RUSSELLVILLE~ Heart of the City~

Written by Dianne Edwards Main Street Russellville, while often confused with ‘Main Street Mission’, is on a mission of its own – “to revitalize and develop the downtown area of Russellville as a business and governmental center as well as a cultural center for the River Valley.” Poignant words, but exactly what do they mean? […]

September 1, 2011 | By More